Law Offices of Michael H. Schreiber, L.L.C.
Call For An Initial Consultation
609-365-1199609-457-0922 Evening And Weekend Available By Appointment

Enforcing a child custody order in New Jersey

Child custody is a hot button topic when a couple gets divorced in New Jersey. Both parents will want custody of their children and the discussion could get contentious as both sides fight for the most time or sole custody. Once a child custody agreement has been reached, an order will be issued. Enforcing a child custody order can be done with the following steps.

Some common violations of a child custody order include routinely picking up or dropping off a child late, speaking ill of the other parent in front of the child and keeping the child overnight if the order says this is not permitted.

One thing you should be mindful of is to never rush to court when minor child custody order violations happen. Courts expect that parents will obey a child custody order to the letter, but they do not look forward to refereeing disputes, no matter how large they might be. Never take an issue to court that does not harm the child because it can backfire on you in the future.

If there are violations of the child custody order, speak with the other parent first. Talk to the other parent about the order, what is outlined in the order and that he or she has been breaking the rules of the order. If the action of the parent are hurting the child, be sure to state this to the parent. Be as open and honest as possible during this conversation without being angry or confrontational.

If you must take the issue to court, be sure to have concrete evidence of the violations of the child custody order. You will not be able to simply make accusations against your former spouse in court. The judge will want to see evidence as to how the order has been broken. Should it be found that a parent has violated the order, the judge could change the terms.

To learn more about child custody issues in New Jersey and enforcing child custody orders, you should look at our many web pages dedicated to the subjects.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get The Answers You Need.

Use this form to contact us or give us a call at 609-365-1199.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Take Action
We Accept : Credit Cards